The best home security cameras are the only advanced way and indeed the crucial element to add in your smart home system. Since the security of your loved one is the only priority when we left home. If you are in the charge then your responsibility doubles itself.
Certainly, who is allowed to visit? How are the kids doing? What if your cat has scratched your new couch? Most importantly what if someone is lurking around your place and waiting for you to leave the house? The fear of burglars and thief is a feeling which never left you and keeps following until you get back between your family safely.
Its time to eliminate this fear and embrace the true freedom and a healthy lifestyle, this is being possible through adopting a reliable surveillance system. Do not waste your time and money in barbed wires, fences or taking old security measures in this era of rising Technology, but do check out these best security cameras for home, the latest and advanced way of a surveillance system.
FAQs About Best Home Security Cameras
Can I use my security camera as a baby monitor?
The answer would be partially yes. A standard security camera and a baby monitor have almost the same features like two way audio, motion sensor and most importantly the night vision. But still, a security camera can be used as a baby monitor but a baby monitor is less likely to be used as a security camera. This is because of the view of field and resolution, notably, these are less powerful in a baby monitor as compared to security cameras used for proper surveillance of the house.
Is it necessary to pay for the company’s Cloud storage or for monthly subscription?
It depends on the company of that security camera or that particular brand you are using (or about to buy). Some companies set a fee for the unlimited storage via their Cloud subscription, these videos automatically sync and get stored into the cloud app, which can be viewed as many times as you want. This also includes the multiple sharing of these videos, whereas, there are some features as well which can only be available when paid by the user. However, if you don’t feel the need to store the videos other than occasionally or apart from local storage, then you are set free from buying or paying for monthly or yearly subscriptions.
Is the base station compulsive for the security camera?
No, it’s not compulsory but if a particular camera comes with it, then this base station has to be there. The purpose of this base station or sometimes known as a base hub of the security camera is to save videos and pictures through the WiFi connection, but for those cameras which do not have any base, these videos and pictures are directly saved in the Cloud exclusively via WiFi.
Do security cameras record 24 hours a day?
This depends on the customization settings you have made. Although, according to the default settings, the camera may record only when the motion is detected, or in some cases, it may record continuously. However, whatever changes you made, it will work accordingly.
Which camera is better, wireless or wired?
Wireless security cameras (wire-free) is suitable for those who often need to move the camera from place to place, this type has a magnetic mounting so that it is easy to put down or to set in any other areas as well. Whereas, a wired security camera is a better option in case the user needs to record only a specific area and doesn’t feel the need to move anywhere else. This type of camera usually needs to be installed in a screwed bracket instead of a magnetic mount. In short, both types have their own importance and significance and equally used for the desired purpose.
Best Home Security Cameras 2020 List
- Best 2K security camera system – Arlo Pro 3 (Solar rechargeable battery)
- Best outdoor night vision security camera – Reolink Argus PT (Solar rechargeable battery)
- Best indoor security camera – Eufy home security (Battery powered)
- Best outdoor wireless security camera system – Yeskamo security camera (Solar rechargeable battery)
- Best outdoor security camera with floodlight – Rraycom floodlight camera (Wired)
- Best lightbulb security camera – Haoxuan security camera (E27 standard power socket)
- Best bullet camera – EZVIZ C3WN camera (Wired)
- Best video doorbell – Toucan wireless video doorbell (Battery powered)
- Best cheap outdoor security camera – Nooie security camera (Wired)
- Best indoor WiFi camera – Kasa Spot Indoor Camera (Wired)
1. Arlo Pro 3 – Best Home Security Camera System
|Arlo Pro 3 Specifications|
|Works on wifi||yes|
|View of field||160 degrees|
- Have to pay separately for solar panel
Arlo Pro 3 is at the top of our list of the best home security cameras 2020. Due to its exceptional performance and being one of the best wifi cameras to make your family and property secured, it has marked its position well among many. It is a high resolution night vision security camera, the 4 megapixel image sensor and 2560*1440p maximum resolution produces 2k HDR videos for the users. Certainly, with its advanced motion detection and its wide-angle motion sensor; no movement or activity goes unnoticed.
Along with the Arlo Smart feature, it is able to differentiate between a person or an object, You can see everything right on your phone screen no matter where you are around the world. Furthermore, you are able to set specific zones. You need to keep secure and want to know each and every movement or sound through alerts. Plus an optional 24/7 CVR option is also available if you want a non-stop recording instead of recording when the only movement is detected.
These videos are extremely clear and are rich in colors, you can zoom-in to see the suspect or to identify the person. In addition, Netgear Arlo Pro 3 comes with a base station; very easy to use and setup with the help of magnetic mounts, sync quickly with the cameras within no time, regardless of the home internet traffic, it will go smoothly. Though you have to put the camera within the range of 300 feet to your base station. The best part is, these security cameras will keep recording the events even if it loses the internet connection but you can not view them until it gets connected again.
Besides, the Arlo Pro 3 has a siren and a two way audio facility with which you can either scare off the unwanted guest or can talk to the person directly. Moreover, it has 4 days battery capacity which can be charged with a solar panel or these can be placed on a charging station to get the juices back and to get back to the duty of guarding the premises.
2. Reolink Argus PT – Best Outdoor Security Camera
|Reolink Argus PT Camera Specifications|
|Works on wifi||yes|
|View of field||130 degrees|
- 360 degrees panorama expensive view of the field
- Alerts through ping on the phone, email or alarm
- Two-way communication via built in microphone
- Rich local storage
- Smart PR motion sensor
- Do not support NVR or 24/7 recording
Reolink Argus PT 1080p ranked second among the best home security cameras. This IP security camera requires only 2.4GHz wifi to perform, with which you can leave your premises for a good time period. Reolink Argus has introduced the best starlight night vision, which is so perfect if you intend to secure your property, especially at the night time. As a result of this property, nothing could be missed regardless of the darkness up to 33 feet.
Nonetheless, the great part of this outdoor security camera is its 2 megapixel CMOS motion sensor, whereas the other great feature is it’s being able to tilt 140 degrees vertically, pan up to 355 degrees horizontally and 105 degrees diagonally. In this way, this wireless security camera is able to follow the movement of the person or a vehicle in the sight. In addition, its expensive view through 1920*1080p resolution, full HD pictures and videos are recorded.
Further, this is known as the best outdoor IP camera, since it is weatherproof and IP65 waterproof, certainly a great way of outdoor surveillance. However, there is no need to install hard wiring, it is a solar powered security camera, though you have to buy a Reolink solar panel separately, otherwise use a phone adapter of 5V 2A to charge its 6500mah battery.
Other than this, the Reolink Argus IP camera has a built-in microphone; enables the user to communicate live to their kids or the person behind the camera. It allows you to watch each and every event that occurs at your property. Moreover, this security camera lets the user and its family members (up to 10 people) watch live, simultaneously, irrespective of the place, but the only thing needed is the internet connection. However, Reolink Argus PT 1080p outdoor security camera provides 7 days of free reolink cloud video history and 1GB cloud storage.
3. Eufy Security Camera – Best Indoor Camera
|Eufy Security Camera Specifications|
|Works on wifi||yes|
|View of field||135degrees|
- Human detection prevents from false alert
- Single charge pushes up to half a year
- Nor monthly fee neither hidden charges of any sort
- Spotlight enables to detect a person
- Suitable to fix at a garage, backyard or at the porch
- No magnetic mount; make harder for charging the batteries whenever required
Eufy security camera provides crystal clear view, credit goes to 1080p HD resolution. This also plays a pivotal role in producing crisp and sharp videos and pictures under the night vision. It enables the user to see whatever is happening in the dark or if anyone is lurking behind the door. Further, there is a built-in spotlight too, with the help of which, a very impressive colored night vision is delivered on your phone screens.
On the other hand, Al Technology has proved to be the security of the next level. You can set up specific zones of the home you are more concerned about. This home security camera will detect any movement and instantly let you know through an alert. Moreover, the possibility of false alerts is equal to zero which often annoys the user with constant unwanted pings and alerts. Though Eufy security is pro in this regard since it has an ability to differentiate objects, animals and people very efficiently.
The best part is, it is an all at once purchase, you don’t need to buy monthly or yearly plans because there is none. For storage of the clips, it has a base station and supports local storage for this purpose. However, for cloud, this facility is not mandatory so you can view live or store it locally. As far as the charging is required, this security camera is wireless but battery operated which needs to be unscrewed and can either be charged through any standard USB of 5V 2A or can be attached to any solar panel of the same power transmitter, though a single charge remains up to 180 days.
4. YESKAMO Security Camera – Best Outdoor Security Camera System
|Yeskamo Security Camera Specifications|
|Works on wifi||yes|
|View of field||130 degrees|
- Easy and most convenient way of installation
- Effective motion detection
- Noise cancellation microphone and speaker
- Perfect for garage, backyard, pool serviellience
- Charge through standard USB cable or through solar panel (continuous recording)
- No alarm or siren
Yeskamo is the battery operated outdoor wireless security camera, providing a stunning picture and video quality and perfectly able to capture the vehicle license number clearly. So you can note it down by just looking at it. Its 1080p resolution enables the user to enjoy every moment of the event occurring at the home or can monitor outside the premises. Although, the night vision is not outstanding, yet it is decent enough to figure out the person in the dark and can be seen up to 33 feet ahead.
Further, its smart PIR motion detection is extremely well with which it itself sorts out the figures of the human body, animals and cars. In this way, there is no possibility of false alerts, it also gives you the authority which objects or a particular place you want to monitor through specific zone settings. The alert system is also highly effective, whenever any movement is detected, it automatically starts recording meanwhile sends you alert to let you know instantly.
However, this IP camera is truly wireless, its 6000mah battery doesn’t require cord but a simple solar panel which can make everything easy and non messy. Its single charge lasts up to 5 months, though only in case of no continuous live streaming but only when motion is detected or when there is a need for recording. Moreover, multiple sharing options are also there in order to facilitate all the family members, who want to remain updated of the commotion outside their home and can talk as well through the two way audio feature.
Whereas talking about the installation, there is more than one way to do this. You can install a holding bracket on the wall or if not then a magnetic mount is also available in case you don’t want to drill your newly painted wall. Another possible way is to place this security camera on a flat surface; a very convenient way if the user intends to use it indoors instead of outdoors. Yeskamo is indeed the best home security camera, and can work perfectly fine on 2.4Ghz wifi. It is an IP65 weatherproof outdoor security camera that has an ability to resist rain or weather conditions. Yet it does have local storage of up to 128G micro SD card but to get unlimited video access you need to buy the cloud service, through which anytime playback and sharing is possible via CloudEdge App.
5. Rraycom security Cam – Best floodlight camera
|Rraycom Security Camera Specifications|
|Works on wifi||yes|
|View of field||120 degrees|
- Loud alarm/siren to scare of the burglars
- 128G SD card local storage
- Best for outdoor security of the property
- Automatically functional lights whenever needed
- Picture and video quality meets the standards
- Inadequate two way audio quality
Rraycom is an advanced home security system. Specially designed for the people who intend to make secure their backyard, pool area, garden or garage. This floodlight security camera has highly sensitive motion detection sensors up to 8 meters, in addition to its 1080p full HD resolution, this night vision camera has set an example for outdoor surveillance systems.
The quality of the picture both day and night is quite impressive, which can be seen anytime and anywhere on your smartphones whenever any motion is detected. If you are afraid of intruders who often lurk in your backyard or porch, this floodlight security camera is no less than a security guard for you, with 49 feet night vision and 120 degree wide angle you can instantly see or recognize the culprit.
Not only this, but when any motion is detected within the zone, this outdoor security camera puts off the 110 decibel alarm, which is loud enough to let the owner know someone is within their property. This alarm or siren system also scares off the thief in the fare of getting caught, moreover, the floodlights are very bright which proves to be very helpful through which the fences or that particular area is lightened up in the dark.
Rraycom is certainly the best home security camera for outdoor, the floodlights, alarm systems including the motion detection sensitivity are all customizable through its app. You can even set the area which is more specific to you, for instance, the entrance of the shop or a warehouse at night or whether you need alarms or alerts on your phone. If you don’t want to disturb your neighbors, you can switch off the unnecessary use of floodlight or the siren as well.
6. Haoxuan hidden camera – Best outdoor light bulb camera
|Best Light Bulb Camera Specifications|
|Works on wifi||yes|
|View of field||360 degrees|
- High resolution spy camera
- Easy to set up, easy to use
- Five modes of viewing with different angles
- An affordable choice
- Supports local storage
- Audio quality is too lousy
This is the best hidden wifi camera, creating a perfect facade of an ordinary light bulb. Also, no one can suspect their activities are being recorded under the peripheral of this bulb. Indeed the smartest way to spy on your maid, kids, housekeeper, pets or can be used outside the home to keep a check on the visitors in your absence.
This 1080p wifi security camera provides a clear and prominent picture of the person or an object with an ability of manual zoom-in so that the user can see the details of the event. Plus its 360 degrees panoramic view enables the user to get the overall view of the room. This hidden camera is one of the best home security cameras with an amazing night vision.
Further, if you think there must be unnecessary alerts on every movement, then you are wrong. This wifi security camera has five sensitivity modes and five viewing modes, with which you can set how instant and on how many times the movement is important to you. The app will only send you alerts or put off the alarm when the motion detection sensor observes things that matters to you.
There is no battery nor need any kind of specific installation for the setup, but a simple E27 power socket for any ordinary bulb is required. Moreover, it needs only a 2.4Ghz wifi connection to send you to live streaming nonstop. This is certainly a cheap hidden security camera, serves as a baby monitor, anti-theft, monitoring pets or elders in your absence.
7. EZVIZ C3WN Security Camera – Best Outdoor Bullet IP Camera
|Bullet Security Camera Specifications|
|Works on wifi||yes|
|View of field||110 degrees|
- Built for outdoor surveillance
- Remarkable field of night vision
- Impressive audio range
- IP66 weatherproof
- Dual antenna strong connectivity
- No siren or alarm
Ezviz C3WN has ranked seventh among the best home security cameras 2020. It has full HD 1080p resolution with strong internet connectivity and provides clear cut pictures and videos, thanks to the dual wifi antennas. It is a bullet security camera, stylish yet a serious look with authority to ensure your home, office or property remain secure in its presence.
Ezviz has a night vision like the rest of the best home security cameras listed, however, the more potential part in this regard is the range of the night vision, i.e. the 100 feet ahead. Which is quite an impressive range to cover, it suits well those who have a wide terrace, verandas or see through glass doors so that the maximum area of the house is covered from a single hang.
Moreover, this is designed for outdoor use and can be installed in commercial areas as well, like shops, real estate buildings, reception areas, clinics, garages, warehouses or small factories where there is a need for security required. Its motion detection enables you to set specific zones that are more important to you, it provides instant alerts when any movement or unusual motion is detected.
Further, its two-way audio capability provides more room to talk to the visitor that is unknown to you, its built in speakers and semi active noise cancelling microphone ranges 5 feet. Moreover, you can have live streaming of your premises, record the event or can share as well through the Ezviz app, it supports local storage, although you have to buy cloud for unlimited video storage after 30 days.
8. Toucan Smart Doorbell Camera – Best Video Doorbell
|Wireless Video Doorbell Camera Specifications|
|Works on wifi||yes|
|View of field||180 degrees|
- Pre-recorded messages
- 24 hour cloud storage with no subscription
- Siren or alarm
- Feed the emergency number to call for instant help
- From floor to head amazing coverage
- Needs to be charged in every 2 to 3 days
Toucan has introduced a smart doorbell for home use, which certainly turns up to be one of the best home security cameras of the year. It’s not just an ordinary doorbell with a chime but it has a camera through which the house owner can see or even talk to the visitor. It is a smart home surveillance system, it provides a strong authority to the user to decide whom they may like to allow to enter their premises even if they are not at home to welcome.
This wireless video doorbell by Toucan owns a 1440p full HD camera with 180 degree view of the field, a great way to check on the visitors or to monitor suspicious activities. This security camera allows the user to communicate to the person to leave the parcel on the doorstep or to send a pre-recorded message in order to cover up the identity of the household in his or her absence. Moreover, you can even prevent yourself from unwanted coming fliers from the door by saying “No to Soliciting” through the pre-recorded message.
Further, this wireless video doorbell has crystal clear night vision and a good PIR motion sensor, whenever any motion is detected in front of your door, it not only alerts you but also automatically records and takes prominent shots and instantly sends it to you on your smartphone. It also stores these manually on your phone devices so that you can check them later in detail.
In addition, it comes with a battery operated chime with 6 different chime sounds that are adjustable. This wireless indoor chime has a loud sound, you can even hear it from your backyard or in case you are busy in your garage, although if not, then you can adjust the volume as well through the Toucan App.
9. Nooie IP camera – Best Affordable Security Camera
|Nooie IP Camera Specifications|
|Works on wifi||yes|
|View of field||107 degrees|
- 24 hours live streaming
- Weatherproof UV resistant
- Supports 128GB local storage
- Unlimited sharing with family
- 360 degrees rotatable camera base manually
- Audio is a bit distorted from both the sides
This cheap outdoor security camera is equipped with a 1080p full HD resolution, which provides crystal clear image. Its smart IR night vision with highly sensitive motion detection of up to 49 feet provides the level of the security you desire no matter how pitch black is the surrounding. With its 107 degrees field of view, this outdoor surveillance system is able to cover everything with great performance.
The best part of this outdoor security camera is its alarm system, which is extremely effective as a theft deterrent. If you are alone or afraid to cope with the burglars on your own, then simply activate the siren. It is not only loud enough to scare off the intruder but also results in your neighbors to know that you are in trouble. Although there is no emergency automatic feed to call the authority by itself, yet it is efficient to awake the surrounding in no time.
Further, other than the motion detection, it also has sound detection sensors. This will instantly notify the user through the alert, whenever anything unusual happens. Moreover, if the activity is hidden from the lens of the camera, these sound detection sensors are highly responsive and get triggered quickly in too little sound even without the image.
10. TP-Link Kasa Spot Cam – Best Indoor Wifi Security Camera
|Kasa Spot Cam Specifications|
|Works on wifi||yes|
|View of field||130 degrees|
- Set the specific zones to monitor
- No need to check regularly, gets alerts throughout the day
- 360 degrees rotatable base
- Crystal clear videos and pictures
- Entry-level security system
- Unnecessary alerts and false motion detection
Kasa Spot has a 1080p resolution lens with 130 degree wide angle view, its night vision is capable of covering 20 feet in the darkness, yet provides a clear and sharp view. Although it allows 24 hours live to stream, it may sound annoying to someone to view it every now and then. However, you can view as per your preference, especially when the motion is detected, it will send alerts instantly on your phone.
Since it is designed for indoor use, this security camera can also serve you as a baby monitor or you can talk to your kids or pets as well. It is small in size. The two way audio allows the user to talk to the nanny or give her commands on what to cook or where to find a laundry. You can even awake your loved one in the morning while sitting in your chair at the office.
Further, this home security camera can be controlled by Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant. Just ask Alexa to show you the kids bedroom or the tv lounge, you will be there instantly on the spot to view the activities.
How to choose the best home security camera system? Buyers Guide
- Resolution– This is the time to witness the events in a clearer and most modified way. This property is defined by the resolution of your camera, not just any ordinary security camera but with a lens which is capable of delivering full HD view. The most common resolution of the cameras in the market comes with 720p and 1080p lenses, however you will get the wings if you spend wisely and get a 1440p megapixel security camera.
- Night vision– This feature is a must if you want to keep the surveillance system on at night. This night vision allows you to see in the darkness, though the power and intensity of video clarity depends on the number of IR infrared LED lights of the camera.
- Two way audio– This feature enhances the user experience to a great extent. It allows you to talk to the visitor or the opponent in front of the lens of the camera. Ask the delivery boy to leave the parcel on the door or let the unwanted visitors know you are watching him. Moreover, there is an extended feature as well, that is the pre-recorded messages or recordings, in order to make your presence for the visitor even if you are not at home. Hence, make sure the security camera you buy has a built-in microphone and speaker.
- Smart detection– Firstly, motion detection property, this feature is commonly utilized in almost all the coming new security cameras, with which whenever any motion is detected, the camera will send you an alert. Secondly, the sound detection, it infers if the activity is conducting somewhere in a miscalculated area where the lens of the camera is incapable to reach, these sound detecting sensors will get triggered over the sound. Similarly, face or human detection sensors are able to differentiate in the shape of the human body, animal or of an object.
- Alarm and push notifications– Leaving home when your kids are alone is a quite risky thing. In this case, the push notification will only let you know someone is at your property. Yet the alarm or siren is extremely helpful in serious or more dangerous situations. You can put off the alarm in real time in order to scare off the burglar or to stop the destruction at your property, you can even call the cops to deal with the matter. However the need of alarm may differ from place to place and person to person. Though the presence of this alarm is the safest option than its absence.
- View of field– the ability of the camera to cover as much area as it can, at the same time it should be able to capture prominent footage is really important. In a case where your security camera is able to capture only an 80 degree angle, then it must need to tilt and pan too, so that the rest of the area should be covered. But if the camera is unable to rotate or tilt and pan, then make sure the camera is able to cover up a wide angle view of the field.
- Local storage– There are plenty of moments when a video is needed to be stored locally instead of a cloud storage, one is to store the video of the thief looting your belongings or vandalizing. So that these clips later produced for the authorities to catch the culprit. Whereas, people sometimes don’t buy the yearly cloud subscriptions or simply did not find the need to do so. Another important reason to get the local storage via micro USB or micro SD card is to store your family or kids precious moments which have accrued surprisingly.
- Ways to power them up– There are three basic ways to power the security cameras. One is to simply install hard wiring between the power supply and the camera. Second is to charge the battery of the camera after a regular interval of time and lastly is to connect the camera with a solar panel. You need to check which method your security camera supports to get charged. Although the least ideal method is to charge the batteries, since in this way the cameras need to be put down, which not only takes your time and efforts but also stops recording. Whereas the best way to charge them continuously without the need to check them regularly is to connect them with solar panels.
The need for security cameras differs from person to person and place to place. It will be no use if you buy fully featured security cameras for your pet safety, likewise, buying a limited featured security camera for the safety of your mansion. Thus, before spending a single penny, decide what kind of security camera you need and what features matter to you.
If you are a housewife, working women or men, single parent; want to look after your kids at home in your absence only then there are plenty of options above.
however, if you want to monitor your baby then TP-Link Kasa Spot security camera serves you best, similarly, if you want to make your backyard, garage, corridors, pool, front door, back door etc. safe from intruders, then go with Eufy security camera, Yeskamo, raycom floodlight camera and Ezviz.
On the other hand, you can check out the budget-friendly Nooie IP camera if you don’t want to spend too much on the best home security cameras, but do consider its features as well according to your security requirement.